Thinking in generations
Vergani reduces and compensates retroactively to 1.1.2021 the complete greenhouse gas footprint, so that you can enjoy all wines climate neutral.
An important part of the Vergani culture is defined by thinking in generations. As a family business, we only want to succeed if we do not do so at the expense of resources, which are the foundation of our work.
Wine is a natural product that is exposed to climate change with full force. The rise in temperature and the fluctuations in the weather pose immense challenges for our producers.
Even if Vergani is only a small piece of the puzzle in this topic, as a pioneer in the wine trade we would still like to show our colours. As a company, as a family, as people.
- Our new large warehouse was equipped with solar panels. In the process, we generate more electricity than we need, which we can feed back into the community. ×
- Where possible, we try to do without plastic. For example, we now use 100% recyclable paper bags. These are made of vegetable fibres and are therefore environmentally friendly and easily degradable.
- Our shipping boxes are made from 100% recycled material. Three quarters of them are made from recycled paper. The remaining raw material is fibre obtained from natural sustainable forestry. Even the glue made from corn and wheat starch is biodegradable.
- The inside of the shipping boxes are corrugated cardboard boxes. The used corrugated cardboard packaging serves the paper mills again as raw material for paper production.
- Natural corks can be handed in at our Enoteca.
- We use mineral oil-free printing inks for printed matter.
- Our transport partner Planzer handles 60% of all freight transports via the Swiss rail network.
- Since 2020, we have greatly expanded our range of organic and Demeter certified wines with the Vergani Linea Verde. Even if it does not directly imply that sustainable vinification entails a lower greenhouse gas footprint, both approaches focus on the protection of nature and resources. This discourse is important to us and we want to continue it in the future.
"We are very pleased that Vergani has decided to offset the entire greenhouse gas emissions together with myclimate. In doing so, they are taking on a pioneering role in the wine trade."
Christian Lehmann, Project Manager myclimate
Illustration: Alec Doherty | Source: Edizione Vergani 12