The eventful and great history of La Cave de Genève begins at the end of the First World War. In 1929, a few winegrowers from the Arve et Lac region founded a cooperative. It bore the name La Cave de la Souche and united around 50 members. It was from this group that the first Swiss Appellation d'Origine Contrôlée (AOC) was born. From 1933 the cooperative was called La Cave de Mandement. In 1948, the Vin Union began operating. Its activities included all oenological tasks, product design and sales. In 1970, the company processed almost 80 percent of the total Geneva production. The main business was the transformation of grapes into wine and its sale. The cooperative received the grapes for pressing immediately after the harvest. Since 2007, Cave de Genève SA has been located in Satigny, the largest wine-growing community in Switzerland.
In our search for a Geneva vineyard, we were absolutely delighted with the la Clémence barrique line. The name la Clémence, by the way, is derived from the 6238 kilogram bell in the cathedral of St. Pierre, which has protected the population of Geneva from demons and other evil beings since 1407.